Monday, January 17, 2005

Pirate links for you

I'm catching up with the weekend's reading today. Let me know in the comments if I missed anything.

Jack's older brother Andy Wilson will attend minor-league spring training, says Rhiannon Potkey of the Ventura County Star, who also provides a biography of their relationship.

George Vecsey of the New York Times lumps the 90-92 Bucs with the lose-four-Super-Bowl Buffalo Bills. Shudder.

Ed Eagle writes about rebuilding and Ty Wigginton. Rebuilding doesn't mean play only young guys. I scratch my head about Wigginton. If his defense was better, I'd have a lot more patience with him. Eagle quotes one unnamed Bucs player saying Ty will be the team MVP this year.

Speaking of Ty, UNC-Asheville retired his number.

Joe Rutter catches up with Mike Johnston, who was, for a month or two there, one of the better stories of 2004.

Dejan Kovacevic has lots of news. See his notebook and today's report on the fifth starter job. Not a lot of competition right now. Maybe the intimidating Steve Sparks will sign. Otherwise, Zach Duke has a clear shot at the spot, I think. I can easily imagine him beating out Vogelsong and Dave Williams.

More Dejan. This report on Ollie throwing again. Jose Bautista has a sprained wrist. Is this guy going to be injury-prone? Also Cota digs Santiago, which doesn't surprise me. We'll all be pulling for Graham Koonce in Spring Training. Sounds like he has a little more potential than Damon Minor. It will be interesting to see if one of those guys can make the team, especially if they have a monster 7-homer spring like Minor did a year or two ago.

Finally, Steelers open as three point home dogs. Take that to the bank. Dude misses a couple of 60% field goal tries and everyone thinks the Steelers are ripe for the plucking. I'd like to see the Patriots manage both a interception return and a punt return. They'll need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment