Friday, January 21, 2005

Life as a GM

You may have already seen this story about Billy Beane getting upset with reported and rumored trade offers. I'll link to it here because I won't find it again if I don't link to it.

Beane says only him and his assistant know much of anything about the talks he has with other GMs. My guess would be that the same is true with most of the GMs around the league. Loose lips sink ships. No doubt they have some kind of understanding among each other. If what GM A says to GM B winds up in GM B's newspaper, GM A is not talking to GM B again. In a sense, a big part of the job description for big-league GM must be Professional Keeper of Secrets.

I wonder if they enjoy that part of the job, or if it's just a burden or irritation to always have to keep your mouth shut when you could easily set the record straight and vindicate yourself from some of the sillier charges made by fans and media people.

No comments:

Post a Comment