Monday, November 15, 2004

Running it up

Jeff Reynolds of Pro Football Weekly looks at the Colts game and faults Manning for running it up. I'm of two minds on this. For one, as a fan, I'd always rather win by twenty than by two. I'm not a sports fan because I'm addicted to adrenaline or have some need for cliff-hanging escape sensations. If my team can win big, I think they should.

On the other hand, there's no doubt that Manning is not playing Steeler football. A big win should be reflected in the time of possession as much as it's reflected in the scoreboard.

I've always regarded Manning as someone who cares too much about his fantasy stats. He gets a free pass on the character issues because he's such a motivational-speechifyin' huckster in the offseason. But that's just me. And I don't pay much attention to the Colts so take all that with the usual grain of salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment