Monday, November 15, 2004

Ed Eagle mailbag

Ed Eagle guesses that the Bucs will sign an Omar Daal or two from the free agent buffet. That's also my guess, perhaps because I read a lot of Ed Eagle's writing.

He also predicts the Bucs remove Noonie and Paulino and Davis, if they can trade him, to make 40-man roster room. He gives the deadline for these moves as November 20. I thought it was November 19, but that's just from memory, and I know better than to put too much stock in my memory.

All eyes will turn to David Littlefield to see how he negotiates the 40-man roster thing as the rosters lock down before the Rule 5 draft. I've always assumed he'll do fine and show he can learn from his mistakes. At the very least, if he lets a guy like Eldred go, I expect we'll get some kind of good explanation from him. Public relations is not the GM's job but the fans can fairly expect the GM to explain his decisions when they create an outcry. It's probably good for the Bucs for Littlefield to play his hand close to his chest, and it may even be good for the team to promote the idea that he's a moron, at least among other GMs, who may get overconfident in trade negotiations. But such an "edge" could look pretty negligible if the GM's "erratic" behavior enrages the fans and thus discourages advance ticket sales. I don't envy Littlefield his job, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment