Tuesday, August 24, 2004

The Kip dilemma

I don't understand the arbitration process and look forward to seeing it unfold this off-season so I can get a better handle on it.

Joe Rutter writes about the coming dilemma with Kip Wells. Is he really due for a huge raise? If so, I really don't understand the system.

Pitchers are fickle commodities. If I was the GM and I had to choose two of Jack Wilson, Craig Wilson, and Kip Wells, I'd cut Kip Wells loose. I suppose a non-tender is out of the question. So why not trade him for two or three prospects?

I don't see how the Pirates can afford to pay players big money when the big-money performance hasn't been there. If Kip deserves a huge raise, let another team give it to him.

In a perfect world, we'd have enough money to keep all the players. But I don't think we're in that world.

No comments:

Post a Comment