Sunday, January 06, 2008

Dave Parker

Rob Biertempfel takes up Dave Parker's case for the Hall in the Trib.

I don't care much for the Hall of Fame talk; there's too much sanctimonious argumentation. It puts me off. And the whole honor is blown out of proportion. It's not the Congressional Medal of Honor. People should not make such a big deal out of it.

If I had a vote, I would vote carefully but quickly. And I would only concern myself with on-field performance. The fact that Parker did some cocaine and broke some laws does not make him so much less a player. The Hall of Fame is full of scumbags. It's for ballplayers, and not only for Sunday School teachers. I am open to the idea that we should embrace the whole diversity of fools, crooks, jackasses, and boy scouts who worked so hard on their playing career. Everybody has their faults and warts; let's not pretend otherwise.

Anyway, (he said, getting off his high horse,) I've been watching the 1979 World Series over the holiday break. I had forgotten what a tremendous player the Pirates had in Dave Parker. The man was a beast. There was nothing he could not do. He played like Superman. It has been a long, long time since I have seen someone play at that level in a Pirates uniform.

You should watch the tapes again if you get the chance. The recent signings of Kuwata and Dessens bring tremendous excitement for the middle winter, but the average Pirate fan may need more than that until Ronny Ballgame opens minicamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment