Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Torres calls DL a liar, demands trade

Salomon Torres is mad as hell, Dejan Kovacevic reports:

"... I'm just tired of being treated like this. I'm tired of the lies. I gave this team everything. I bought a house in Pittsburgh to be part of the city. But, if you're going to lie to me, trade me."
Strange story. Sully charges DL duped him into signing a cheap contract by "strongly suggesting" the Bucs would rent one of Torres' Dominican baseball academies. The Bucs declined, and Torres filed a grievance in March. Now Sully claims the Bucs have delayed his rehab longer than necessary to retaliate.

It's hard to sympathize here with Torres, who did not have an agent for these negotiations, got nothing in writing, and apparently took the word of a well-known Master Liar. Furthermore, I can't see why the team would unnecessarily delay Torres' return, given the dire situation in the bullpen where Kuwata and Wasdin are trotted out in high-leverage situations.

Fallout: Torres is alienated and has probably just diminished his trade value, thanks to DL.

No comments:

Post a Comment