Friday, March 30, 2007

A miracle happens

So I was at lunch today, by myself, after doing a whole bunch of work all morning, at a fairly swanky establishment. I ordered an over-the-top deluxe sandwich and step over to the cooler to select a beverage.

In the back of my mind, I am thinking about the Pirates and wondering what will come of them. I am scanning the rows of beverages absent-mindedly. My eye is looking for something--I don't know what. There are a few remaining roster cuts, but so far as I can tell they are predictable.

Then it happens: Latrobe, Pa. Yes! I nearly fall to me knees in gratitude. I find a somewhat stale Rolling Rock from last summer waiting for me in that original Latrobe, Pa. bottle. Hallelujah!

Next I felt a Spiritual Presence beside me--like an old friend had slipped down from the heavens to stand beside me with a pleasant smile. Yeah, like that.

It was a good lunch.

Oh, and in other news, the Pirates cut Jose Hernandez today. So long, Jose.

I also see, as Dejan Kovacevic explains, that "they have Nate McLouth, Ryan Doumit, Humberto Cota, Brad Eldred, Don Kelly and Jose Castillo as six players for five bench openings, pending a decision on second baseman Freddy Sanchez's status." I like Don Kelly and see him as the next Mackowiak. I mean that in a good way. Cota never appears to call a good game and he can't hit too much, so I would cut him, but I'm not the decider and I acknowledge the Pirates can't go wrong choosing five of these six.

...it appears Don Kelly made the team for sure. Congratulations, Don Kelly!

No comments:

Post a Comment