Saturday, November 12, 2005

Bones' counterpoint on Cuban rumors

Yesterday, Rowdy served up his take on the Cuban rumors. While I agree with his beginning and ending, I'm not feeling his middle part. (Start dream sequence) If I got to edit Rowdy's posts, my version would look like this:

I think McClatchy et al have done a piss-poor job with the team. For sure, they have made mistakes, and mistakes so egregious and extending over a multi-year period are unacceptable by any reasonable standards.

I'd also add that I don't know Nutting - in pictures he looks to me like Mr. Burns - and I wouldn't recognize him if I sat next to him in a bar. Likewise with Littlefield, who to me resembles a weasel (no offense Dave). I have no ties to any of these guys, and I doubt I ever will.

My advice to fans rooting for an ownership change has two parts. First, don't ever abandon your dreams and succumb to complacency and learned helplessness. Second, give the man the business. I bet public pressure could promote the sale of the team. If anything, I suspect it would only encourage the sale because it would, pretty obviously I think, increase the motivation of potential sellers. And this would increase the chance the ownership group will get the price they want for the team. It's possible, though unlikely, that public outrage will force them to sell low -- the owners are not elected officials but proven losers, cowards, and misers.

I'm sure we'll continue to hear and read about imminent sale rumors for some time. I'll be reading them on the edge of my seat. I'll believe it when I see it, and I'll speculate about what to expect from the ownership change when (and if) an ownership change ever takes place. Please, Mark, buy our team. (/dream sequence)

No comments:

Post a Comment