Monday, August 15, 2005

Sally O'Leary

Rick Shrum PG interview with Pirates historian and retired PR whiz Sally O'Leary.

What did your work entail during the early years with the team?

O'Leary: We did community days, fan mail. There weren't many promotions until later. One of my biggest jobs was to update statistics every day. I had to go to every home game and keep statistics and a box score. I had to listen to road games because I still had to keep score. We also kept a ledger book of every game, which was handwritten and had details of everything: weather, the umpires, outstanding plays. We also had a page on every player. When we were at Forbes, we didn't have things like a computer or electric typewriter. I didn't even have a calculator. I had a little book that listed percentages that helped me with batting averages.

All hail Sally. Link here.

No comments:

Post a Comment