Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Q & A

Another installment.

Is it easier for a rookie to break in at the bottom of the lineup on a winning team, surrounded by players like Chipper Jones and John Smoltz? I would guess yes. Also, if the Braves only start their rookies, why has Jeff Francoeur been out of the lineup the last two nights? I think we often exaggerate the difference between how the Pirates are run and how the other teams are run. The Pirates' trouble is not so much how the team is managed, but how the players play. I don't completely understand the impulse to blame everyone but the players.

Doumit should be the primary catcher, Duffy should be the primary centerfielder, and Eldred should be here soon. I agree with all that. There are no veteran players standing in their way right now.

And on the subject of Mark Cuban, you can now get your t-shirt. I've been doubtful that anyone would buy the team and infuse, say, $50M in payroll with the belief that it takes money to make money. But maybe I'm wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment