Friday, February 11, 2005

Raise your mug to blogs

With Spring Training just ahead, all kinds of new bloggy goodness pops up around us. I couldn't help but notice this Cubs blog, this Mariners blog, and this D'Rays blog.

I'm all for new blogs. The more, the merrier. It's no coincidence, I think, that the teams with the most blogs also have the blogs with the most traffic. A rising tide lifts all boats. As more and more people break the mainstream news habit, watch the continued proliferation of sports blogs and podcasts (yes, podcasts!) .

I also expect we will continue to see a lot of turnover in the ranks of active blogs. There's not really any money in blogging. All the writing can be a headache. Some people never lose the gnawing fear that they have embarrassed themselves in some irreversible way. I wonder, for example, if this is a coherent paragraph.

But not for long. There's no way to tell if you are suited for it until you try. For some of us, it's as easy as getting out of bed. For others, it becomes a worry or a nightmare. If you are thinking about launching your own blog, I say do it. Just as there is always room for one more person on the bandwagon, so is there always room for one more blog. All hail blogs and bloggers.

So what other new blogs am I missing? And what blogs have recently deceased without my noticing? Use this thread to answer those questions if you like. You can also use the thread to pimp your own blog if you keep one. FWIW, I'll link to the ones that are narrowly focussed on baseball or maybe football. And I'll only link to ones that are more or less regularly updated. If it's brand new, I'll probably wait a month or two to see if keeps rolling. I don't update the blogroll often and I don't want it crowded with deadwood.

But who cares about links - there is also this invention, the bookmark, which we use to follow other blogs I discover as a plod around the internets. So let's hear about what you have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment