Wednesday, September 22, 2004

No worries about Roethlisberger

When rookie and other backup quarterbacks step into a starting job, it doesn't concern me. You have to wait and see. They don't all fail from the start. I believe Cowher when he says he has confidence in Ben. I will too. If he falls on his face, looks tentative, completes 30% of his passes, throws three picks for every TD, etc., then I'll change my mind. Right now, though, he's good until proven bad.

I'm glad Ed Bouchette wrote this one because I was thinking the same thing and he's spared me the trouble. Some QBs are good from the start. Others have to work to be good. Others will never be good. It's the same thing with baseball prospects. We won't know what we've got with Ben until he's played four or six games. In the meantime, I expect some fun finding out.

...I also agree with Sean Lahman's take on the situation. He's very right to point out that Roethlisberger has an unusually strong supporting cast. Judging from Alan Faneca's comments earlier in the week, I think we can assume that the o-line will bring an A game next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment