Thursday, June 17, 2004

Wells and signing players for 2005

Ron Cook is eminently reasonable again as he writes today about Kip Wells. Unless Wells gets back to being Wells, I think he's looking at Brett Tomko money, or a little better, for some kind of one or two-year deal.

Here's a question we should debate. If the Bucs were going to lock up one player soon, who should it be? We'd have to know what kind of money it would take for that player, of course, but off the top of my head I think Craig Wilson would be my pick. He plays three positions and excels as an everyday player in PNC Park. Solid rightfielders are replaceable, sure, but Wilson is showing an elite talent with the stick that's going to make him Jim Thome money if he keeps hitting like Jim Thome. If he could be signed now for two more years, I think that would be a smart investment. As investments, three true outcome sluggers are far more reliable than starting pitchers.

No comments:

Post a Comment