Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Alternate home uniforms

The Bucs wore the red, gold, & black unis tonight, the alternative home jerseys I think they are called. Today I wore my 1997 gray crown cap - a short-lived alternate road cap - and my wife, who more often sees me in this or this, liked it a lot. This is ironic since I bought it only to wear around a friend who ridiculed the gray hat every time it showed up in the highlights on SportsCenter. Around him (and only around him), I defended it as the height of good taste. I wouldn't let him talk any smack on the gray hat. (He's a Braves fan with very different feelings about Francisco Cabrera.) Like a lot of things from the late 1990s, the gray hat was phased out pretty quickly and quietly and no one mourned its passing. This thing is so rare these days, I can't find a picture of it for a link. I doubt Mitchell & Ness will be on it any time soon.

Here's a great but not too recently updated website on the history of the Pirates uniform. A lot of people think the red in the alternate unis is a new thing, but in ye olden days when I walked to school uphill both ways in the snow "Pirates" was written across the chest in red script.

No comments:

Post a Comment