Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Unfortunate headlines dept.

Bradley Clapp has never heard this joke before.

Now that he's made that foolish promise - that he won't sign without a bonus of $400K - and fallen so low in the draft, I suppose he feels like he has to go to college and follow through on that threat.

He should cut his losses and sign with the Pirates for the suggested bonus. Does he really think he'll have a better chance at a pro career if he goes to college? If I were him, I'd far rather trust my arm and my future to a professional club.

He should have kept his mouth shut, taken whatever bonus was suggested for the second through fifth rounds, and gone right into some team's minor-league system. I don't know what the agents tell these kids, but the future is not bright for continued escalation of signing bonuses or even for maintainence of the now-ridiculous signing bonuses. The front offices around the league are in no mood to pony up Rob Mackowiak's annual salary for a one-in-eight chance some high school pitcher starts a game four or five years down the road.

Thanks to Gary at Primer for the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment