Thursday, March 01, 2007

Deserving it

A week or so ago, Jack Wilson made some comments about wanting to win for the fans. Because, he said, the fans deserve to see the Pirates win. At the time I thought that was charming and somewhat commonplace. But the comment has rattled about in the back of my head. Something about it struck me as not right.

I can't speak for all the fans. I can't speak for anyone but myself. But I feel included when people talk about fans enduring the massive losing streaks of the last twenty years.

I don't feel that I deserve anything from the Pirates. The players, the owners, the coaches, etc., they do not owe me. There is no debt to be paid. I have taken the entertainment offered by Pirates baseball, as much and as little as I want, on my own terms. It is mine. I made it from their pathetic to mediocre performances. And much of this fun has been at the team's expense.

So I am very sure of this. I do not deserve to see the Pirates win 90 games.

That said, I want the Pirates to win 90 games.

I want it. I must have it. I will have it. One of these days it will happen.

In the meantime, if I don't get it, I will find some way to amuse myself. That's more or less what I have been doing with the blog all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment