Monday, September 11, 2006

Willie Parker something like Tiki Barber?

Ed Bouchette suggests the backfield depth, with Staley looking useless, is not what it should be in his daily answer for 9/10.

I still have my card for the Verron Haynes fan club. Not sure he would stay healthy if forced into a starting role, but I would not be afraid to see what happens should he ever be thrust into the spotlight.

Watching the Colts-Giants last night, I thought that Tiki Barber, who is listed as 5' 10" 205 pounds, reminds me of this Willie Parker guy. They are about the same size and shape, and they look more like each other than like a lot of other NFL backs. In the last nine seasons, Barber has missed two games.

So we already got Parker, who reminds me of one of the more durable and productive players today, and there should be at least a few more years on his tires. It's too early to suggest one might some day be as good as the other, but it's not too early to say there's no reason to think that Parker is sure to be injured soon, is sure to need time off, or is sure to wear down over the season.

And teams with outstanding run-blocking personnel can also make stars out of scrubby guys.

So no worries about the backfield depth. I see no reason to fret about Parker's health or workload, and I see no reason to worry that any semi-competent backup would fail running behind our line and tight ends and fullbacks and wideouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment