Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Motivation more important than ability

Scientific American. Add that to the nurture vs. nature debate. Nurture wins! Do the Pirates need to "try harder" (or "try better")? Or do they need to be different people? Far too many people give the players a free pass. I mock the notion that they are getting 110% out of their God-limited abilities, that they are being all they can be. That's horseshit. The sycophancy displayed toward this collection of Losers disgusts me when sober. I don't give a rat's ass about a batting title in a season that started 30-60. Nothing atones for that. As much as I want to like the current Pirates, and as much as I have enjoyed the games of the last few days, they will have to win 32 of 60 at the start of season before I believe they've attained the dazzling heights of mediocrity. If it wasn't for beer, we wouldn't even be having this conversation about whether or not to expect the team to be mediocre in 2007.

FWIW, once upon a time, Bones and I were decent chess players. And I was the master of the Latvian Gambit. Hi-ya! Take that! Bones was powerless against 2. ... f5!!

No comments:

Post a Comment