Thursday, September 15, 2005

Off-day NFL thread

Only two adjustments to my preseason rankings in light of week one: OK, maybe Kansas City will be good this year. And while I still don't expect much from Miami, I have to move them up off the dirt floor where the Cardinals, 49ers, Vikings, and Clowns lie and moan.

So what are the big games in week two, the ones you'd want to see if/when you aren't watching the Steelers thrash another hapless opponent?

Buffalo at Tampa Bay intrigues me. The Bills look like the much better team, but the Dolphins (I learned) hold a sick home-field advantage in August and September. Will the Bills wilt in Tampa Bay? Have the Bucs had similar success outlasting rivals in early-season heat? Here's a link to the Tampa forecast.

The primetime games include some storied division rivalries (Dallas-Washington, Kansas City-Oakland) and the big schedule-change story (New Orleans). Miami and the Jets always play great games. Doesn't one team always beat the other? San Diego and Denver also looks like a great game, and it's one that will surely have a big impact on the tough AFC West division race.

And this may be somewhat degenerate to say, but Detroit at Chicago also looks like a good game to me. Do the Lions ever win at Soldier Field? Are the Bears as good (mediocre) as I think they are?

No comments:

Post a Comment