Wednesday, May 11, 2005

On the Nuttings

John Perrotto summarizes the anti-Nuttings movement. I'm surprised to learn that Richard Mathews has come out against the Nuttings because I've long associated him with this editorial he wrote last year. If he's joined the movement, I wonder if the Nuttings have any supporters among the fan base.

I'm all for whatever works. I don't care who owns the team. I just want the team to win when I go to the ballpark, watch on TV, or listen on the radio. Hell, right now, I just want them to win half their games, which strikes me as an eminently reasonable desire.

But I can't get too wrapped up in chasing shadows. As I've written before, I think the onus of losing has to rest mainly on the players we've had. Talent is not some god-given magic power. The best players are the ones who work to be the best. And work harder to stay the best. Maybe the odds are longer for some of our guys than they are for others, but I doubt it. The players own the fate of the team. You guys can hate on G. Ogden Nutting, I'll hate on Derek Bell when the urge to hate grabs hold of me.

...oops, link changed. I can't find Mathews' pro-Ogden editorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment