Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Roster set

Assuming catcher Humberto Cota has recovered from a left hip bruise that has kept him out of the lineup since last Saturday, the Bucs will open the season with Cota and Benito Santiago behind the plate; Sanchez, Hill, Daryle Ward, Jose Castillo, Jack Wilson, Craig Wilson and Ty Wigginton in the infield; Tike Redman, Jason Bay, Matt Lawton and Rob Mackowiak in the outfield; Oliver Perez, Kip Wells, Mark Redman, Josh Fogg and Dave Williams in the starting rotation and White, Jose Mesa, Salomon Torres, Mike Gonzalez, Brian Meadows, John Grabow and Ryan Vogelsong in the bullpen.

Them's the words of Ed Eagle at MLB.com.

That's about what I expected going into March. So far so good or, about what we could expect.

Other thoughts: sign the Cuban guy, sure, I say.

Gorzelanny, goddamn.

Dave Williams vs. Zach Duke: I didn't see either one of those guys pitch with my own eyes. And if I did, I'd probably be all like Wow. So I only know what I read. Based on what I read, Duke sounds ready.

Spring stats don't project much. Williams was lousy in the box score. If Mac says he was pitching well, that's fine for me. Williams gets five starts before I'll start getting apoplectic about giving Duke a chance.

It's funny to think that if I was the GM, I would have traded Duke in February and promoted him in March. When you have something good, it can burn a hole in your pocket.

Remember too, that Duke is no sure thing. Lots of guys with good control dominate the minors and fail to make it in the bigs. Nelson Figueroa comes to mind. So too, I think, Joe Roa. I want to believe in Duke but he'll have to prove himself again and again and again before we can call him Zach Maddux. And, as I think it was Gene Collier who wrote it, it is only the fifth starter's job. So whatever.

Time to play ball. No stumbling out of the gate this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment