Monday, March 21, 2005

Principal Torres

John Perrotto on Salomon Torres's Dominican academy. We've seen that news before, I forget where. I'm too lazy to search the archives right now.

Still, I'd much rather read about this than learn what Jason Kendall thinks of the Pirates' chances in 2005. I mean, whatever.

I'm not mainly a fan of the players. I'm mainly a fan of the team. And it's easy to be that way when you have zero interaction with the players. Judging from all the Kendall stories I've seen in the papers over the last few weeks, I'd guess that the beat writers miss Kendall. I don't, and I'm willing to bet that most Pirate fans don't miss him, either. It's not like he slid into home to score the winning run in some NLCS or hit four home runs in a World Series for us.

Don't get me wrong--the players are great. We're lucky to have the ones that we do. I'm sure I'd be all about drinking beer with any one of them should we meet in some bar. But baseball is a team sport. I don't wish Jason Kendall anything but the best. Same goes for J.J. Davis, Jose Guillen, Bronson Arroyo, and so forth. All the players are great. But it's the progress of the team that holds my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment