Sunday, February 27, 2005

More news, AQL

I'm burning up my eyeballs trying to choose and shop for a flat-panel monitor online. My current system (a Pismo) is about 125 years old in computer years and it's time to update before OS X destroys the system's memory-strapped hard drive. I've somewhat narrowed the field to the Samsung Syncmaster 910T, the Dell 1905FP, 2001FP, or 2005FPW, or the Viewsonic VP201B. I'm looking for something that will last as long as the system I'm preparing to buy (a dual 2.0 G5 w/ upgraded (retail) graphics card). LCD flat panels are evolving at a dizzy pace. Prices dropping, specs improving, it's pretty damn hard to choose, esp. since I can't make up my mind about how much TV/DVD/video I'll watch on it. Could I use MLB.tv to watch archived games? Like maybe the West Coast ones that end at 2am? Don't talk to me about Tivo--I don't have cable TV and have no interest in it. Cable modem is plenty for me.

Since I've been on the computer way more than I'd like, reading crap I don't normally read, I'll do the Sunday Bucco news roundup AQL (all quick-like).

Ed Eagle reports on Ollie, Duke, Bullington, Winters, House, Grabow, Mackowiak (as a defensive-replacement first-baseman). I think No. 3 will get another 550 PAs this year.

Dejan Kovacevic on closer-in-waiting Mike Gonzalez. No, Billy, you can't have him.

Oh wait. John Perrotto touts Koonce. And regarding Byrnes: "The Athleticss are holding out for a top pitching prospect such as left-handers Zach Duke or Tom Gorzelanny or right-hander Ian Snell." MG, ZD, TG, IS. Whatever. I say wait a month to see what develops.

Joe Rutter on Ollie and Ian Snell.

Kovacevic reports on Bobby Hill and Kip Wells. Hill's core strength thing is mandatory for a guy with his history of back problems.

Kovacevic updates on centerfield job, fifth starter job, bullpen jobs, Matt Peterson, Mark Redman, and Braden River HS, where some believe a Barracuda outfit would look cuter on a cheerleader than a Pirate outfit.

Joe Rutter on McClatchy. Many quotes there.

Rob Biertempfel offers a dissertation on pitch counts. Why run this now, Rob? We could have used this a month ago. Or maybe in two months when some youngster needs to nurse his wing. It's hard to give this the attention it deserves at the start of camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment