Monday, December 06, 2004

Eagle answers

Ed Eagle answers a bunch of questions I could have written myself. Shorter Eagle: No Charles Johnson if he's $2M per year, Craig Wilson is not a catcher, Littlefield promised to re-invest the Kendall savings and there's no reason to doubt his word, JVB will have a shot at the fifth starter position.

One of my hobby horses has been the fact that the five-man rotation is a myth. A team doesn't need five starters on April first, they need more like nine starters. Otherwise there's no hope of successfully weathering injury and unexpected suckitude. The only way that the addition of Redman limits JVB's opportunity is this: if everyone else is healthy and up to speed, the odds are longer for JVB to start the season with the Pirates. Otherwise I'm sure we'll be seeing him at some point in the season.

Eagle's mailbag also calls our attention to this recent interview with DL. There's a lot of good stuff in there. Sounds to me like Littlefield is ready to do some more trading. I'm all for unloading some of the minor-league depth for the right big-league proven veterans.

No comments:

Post a Comment