Friday, October 08, 2004

The running game

Gerry Dulac has this great report on the state of the running game. More zone blocking, less 38 boss.

One of these days, Verron Haynes will have a big game. I've always linked him, in my mind, with the Browns' William Green because of 2001 Music City Bowl. I thought the Steelers picked themselves a great player when they got Haynes, who emerged from deep in the depth chart as a bruising, move-the-pile college runner. And as Coach Cowher would say, Haynes finished college with most of "his body," i.e., with little wear, since he only started for the second half of his senior year at Georgia. Looking over his college career on draft day - reading recaps of the various games Haynes starred in - I thought to myself that this would be the next great Steeler back.

He's been kind of fragile but he hasn't had enough chances to say he's been a disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment