Wednesday, July 14, 2004

new Q & A

All kinds of fun in Paul Meyer's new Q&A.

I do believe said Charlie Wilmoth has a blog, Value Over Replacement Blog. The title alludes to a one-stat measure of a player's overall offensive value relative to the "freely available" replacement talent. It's created and published by Baseball Prospectus. I'm no fan of one-stat measures of ability and sometimes I wonder how freely available replacement talent truly is, but c'mon, it isn't right to complain about everything no matter how surly I'm feeling about that series in San Juan. The VORP stat has value and I recommend it for your reading pleasure.

Some interesting things in those VORP rankings. Craig Wilson trails Brian Giles by a small margin in right field. Jack Wilson leads the NL in VORP. He has more than twice as much VORP as Edgar Renteria. This could be what Roger Clemens was grousing about when he took the mound yesterday.

At Charlie's blog I see he's arguing with the wind about his position on J.J. Davis.

We've gone over this here. Shorter Rowdy: the development of no one player is worth more than the development of the team as a whole. I'm cheering for J.J. Davis. I hope he goes 2-for-4 with a home run and a stolen base in his next big-league start. But he has to earn PT the way the rest of the guys earn it. I could go on and on but he's injured and headed to Nashville so it's all academic right now.

Go read the rest of Charlie's blog. He is pretty devoted to the Pirates so he's my kind of guy. The take on J.J. appears to be the weak link in his patter.

No comments:

Post a Comment