Monday, June 28, 2004

Smizik: Play Davis, bench Simon

His argument makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure I'd like to see that exhibition spirit in the middle of the season, however. Usually if a guy can't press his way into the lineup, then he's not worth starting. And it undermines morale across the team when some favorite son has a starting job and hasn't earned it the good old-fashioned way.

For sure, give Davis a start per series. The last time he played - or the last time I remember him playing - he was so bad, he would have cleared waivers eight hours later if every club had seen the tape of that game. It was bad out there in right field. Doug Frobel bad.

If Davis can't press for more time, don't give it to him. I may not be right about that, but that's the way I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment