Tuesday, June 22, 2004

More Ruben Mateo

Brian O'Neill busts out the OPS to ask why Ruben Mateo hasn't been playing more.

A few week or so ago I looked at the Pirates' 21-day stats and was impressed that the better a player was hitting, the more he was playing. The only exception was Ruben Mateo, but he was recently called up. I've been disappointed that he hasn't been in the game lately. For sure, of late the story is the horrible bullpen work we've been getting. That and the lousy starts. But we can always use more home runs, and Mateo didn't get into the game at all last night. I even sat on the floor looking at this picture. For some reason, a "matchup" one I guess, Abe Nunez and Randall Simon were ahead of him on the pinch-hitting depth chart.

If this is a you-produce, you-play team, Mac will be giving some starts to Mateo. My sense is he won't disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment