Monday, January 03, 2005

Ed Eagle mailbag

Ed Eagle looks at the outfield and writes a bit about Brad Eldred.

I'm all about Jack Wilson. I never doubted the staying power of his breakout year, and I think he's shown that he's someone the team can build around. But here's a PR question Eagle's comments raise with me: Why does the team need to have "a face"? A related question - to what extent can the front office (successfully) determine who that face is going to be? If the 2004 Pirates had a face, for most baseball fans it was Randall Simon, not Jason Kendall. Jack Wilson is worth good money, but I don't get the rationale that he's worth extra because he's "the face" of the team. Such extra money would be better spent on uniform and logo design. That's my hunch at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment