Thursday, February 24, 2005

Anybody with a computer can figure this out

So Wehner will be the new color guy. Ed Eagle writes it up.

Matt Lawton is ready to score some runs, Eagle also reports. There and in an AP report, McClendon talks about not using him as a leadoff hitter:

"We're a better club if somebody steps up and says, "I can do this,' and performs at a high level in the leadoff spot," McClendon said. "That pushes Matt down in the order and allows him to drive in more runs, which he is capable of doing. For that to happen, though, somebody has to step up."
Nice photo of Mac with that one. When's the last time a manager sported a cane on the field? As for the quote in question, I wonder if he's thinking about Tike Redman in particular. Or maybe he's just trying to emphasize that Lawton can hit for power. Dejan Kovacevic writes about Lawton, too, and that's one of the themes of his handicraft. Rutter also wrote about Lawton.

Kovacevic reports that Maz likes the team and misses Nellie.

The pitchers put the position players away in the first live batting practice. Also in that report: Ed Eagle counts three open spots on the 40-man roster with guys moving to the 60-day disabled list eventually.

Dejan Kovacevic more or less reports that the As want Mike Gonzalez in any deal for Byrnes:

Oakland will not consider a trade for outfielder Eric Byrnes unless it receives immediate bullpen help. The Pirates have exchanged names with Oakland, but the Athletics are believed to be reluctant to part with him.
OK, so he didn't write anything about Gonzalez. I'm just guessing. You don't think they'll settle for Jose Mesa?

Seriously, the As have been stockpiling bullpen guys--the better to trade away, Mike Williams-style, over the course of the season, I suppose. Why not mint a bunch of closers and trade them for other players? The Cubbies may wind up with Dotel after all.

Joe Rutter has a longer essay on the Byrnes negotiations. Byrnes has some good lines. Among them:

Byrnes has been aware of the myriad of rumors.

"It's hard not to be because I have family and friends all over the country," he said. "Anybody with a computer can read everything that's going on. It's not like I'm searching for it. At the same time, whenever you have people bringing up what seems like a different rumor every day, it's tough not to listen."

Joe Roderick covers the Captain America story for Knight-Ridder. He gets the same quotes, but a little different:
"There's a little truth in everything," he said. "Obviously there has been a lot going on. It's been going on all offseason.

"Honestly, the way I look at is if I get traded, I'll be going to a team that really wants me to play for them. As a player that's all you can really ask for. At this point, wherever I play this year, I will be playing for a team that wants me. That's also true if I stay with the A's. If I stay here and they end up not trading me, I think they will want me to be here.

"I have family and friends all over the country. Anyone with a computer can read all the stuff and figure it out. When you have people bringing up a new rumor every day, it's tough not to listen."

Roderick puts any trade on a late-March timetable. "If there is a trade, it may not happen until late in spring training, after the A's get a look at outfielder Charles Thomas, who was acquired from the Atlanta Braves in the Tim Hudson deal," he writes. "They'd also like to get an extended look at Bobby Kielty, a backup last season." I'd think the Bucs would also want a look at Darlye Ward, Tike Redman, Ben Grieve, and the young guys who will be vying for those open spots on the 40-man roster. BayInsider.com reports Ken Macha saying he "has a logjam in the outfield." The As have starting center fielder Mark Kotsay, Eric Byrnes, Charles Thomas and Bobby Kielty heading into the spring. That doesn't really sound like a logjam to me, but I'll take Ken's word for it.

Pictures. Here's a picture of Benito and Mac. And one of Ian Snell. I'm guessing Ian Snell could be immediate bullpen help. The PG has this collage of minor-league vanity tags. And pitchers doing some kind of dance. And Ollie putting on makeup. And Matt Lawton showing off his cannon. Yes, that's safe for work people.

No comments:

Post a Comment