Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Matt Lawton fan club forming here

I am a big fan of Matt Lawton, who I regard as the poor man's J.D. Drew - well, something like that - and I think he'd make a great addition to the current crop of Pirates. He's a tremendous leadoff hitter with all the patience of Kendall and more power. My memory (never to be trusted) says that some of the injuries that have made his career "injury-prone" were freak things and not the kind of injuries that actually suggest you can expect more injuries down the road. Not, that is, unless you believe in bad luck and think perhaps someone can be born under a bad sign.

He's gotten little love in Cleveland because he failed to meet expectations in his first season. If his health is sound and he can pass a Pirate physical, he's someone we could really use.

To complainers I'd say, put his .370 career OBP in your pipe, smoke it, and then tell us if you still feel like complaining.

OK, I wouldn't say that, because it would be ruude, but what's not to like?

No comments:

Post a Comment