Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Curt Schilling: All Hail the Steelers

Reader AB saw Schilling's Steelers cap on TV and wrote to ask about it. A quick google search finds this story:

"I feel beat up a little bit," Schilling would say later on, wearing a yellow Pittsburgh Steelers cap and a weary disposition in the hour after throwing a six-inning, four-hit master work at the Cardinals last night, inching the Red Sox to within two games of Valhalla with a 6-2 win. "Honest to god, I didn't think I was taking the ball today. I didn't think I could. And then things just began to happen. We made it work. It happened."

Any idea why Schilling would be a Stiller fan? AB found more evidence. Is this a Casey Hampton jersey? If it's 2002, it's ... whose number? Hampton, Cushing, Vincent, Mathis?? Maybe it's a Lynn Swann jersey done up with the modern numbers.

He was born in Anchorage, Alaska, where his pop, a U.S. Army paratrooper in the 101st Airborne Division, may have been (I'm just guessing) stationed at Elmendorf Air Force base. I can't find any evidence that Schilling has ever lived in Western Pennsylvania.

Of course, that doesn't make it surprising that Schill would support the black and gold. Plenty of people outside the area have the good taste to support the best franchise the NFL has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment